Breaky of the week

Breaky of the week
Fresh Fennel, artichokes, onions,compacted cottage cheese ( believe it). This is a Souffle like omlette with whipped egg whites and saffron. I'd like to send a shout out to the accompanying Cara-Cara oranges

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Celery root baked not fried

Overall the celery root challenge was quiet entertaining. Literally never trying this vegetable before I was delighted by it’s fresh clean celery taste.

My inspiration for this recipe was essentially a crab cake, as mentioned I was aiming for something crispy so I just went for it.

To start I steamed the celery root and then roughly blended them to get a diced texture. I added zucchini, chili peppers, shallots, green olives and tomatoes. From here I added canned crabmeat Dijon mustard and mayo. To bind everything together I used a couple eggs and flax seed (this is optional but so very healthy for you).



Made nice sized patties and baked them for about 15 minutes on a low temperature.

But seriously let’s talk about flavor and texture. The olives were accidentally my favorite part, the patty had that hit of pungent flavor which worked well with the subtle crab and celery root flavors. If you like spicy I would suggest using more hot peppers as well.

As far as texture the outside was prefect crispy yet the entire patty was moist, that was the largest benefit to using the celery root. Although the right crisp was not obtained easily, I fried the first batch in a frying pan. The frying method did not bind everything and caused the patty to be over cooked. It was baking them that really helped to nail my vision.


Naturally this is a perfectly well balanced meal we have veg, protein, oils ( mayo yes mayo is like olive oil healthy and necessary).

Making a large batch of these would be helpful for on the go meals or work lunches. Once you have backed them all you have to do is reheat. I think overall celery root can be used as a fabulous substitute for potatoes. Of course that is quiet a statement to make….further investigation required!

No comments:

Post a Comment