Breaky of the week

Breaky of the week
Fresh Fennel, artichokes, onions,compacted cottage cheese ( believe it). This is a Souffle like omlette with whipped egg whites and saffron. I'd like to send a shout out to the accompanying Cara-Cara oranges

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Learning how to KISS ( Keep it simple stoooopid) with the Physalis



The physalis also known as a ground cherry or cape gooseberry was a challenging ingredient to work with. I only tried one savory recipe and it kind of fell flat. I thought the dressing would be fantastic- I combined the physalis in a roasted red pepper dressing, adding cayenne pepper for some punch and pulled out some citrus flavors by adding fresh orange juice.


I grilled onions, asparagus, chicken and more physalis together and added this to mixed greens. I found once I cooked the physalis it lost it punch. I went wrong in one of two places I think I complicated my efforts with too many ingredients- I would take away the grilled ingredients next time and perhaps just stick to the dressing over the mixed greens. Next time I won’t grill the physalis either, this bad boy is complex on it’s own the preparation should have been simplified.



One a brighter note I was much more successful with the physalis as a wine spritzer ingredient. I used a sauvignon blanc, with my favorite drink Perrier sparking water, I then roughly chopped the some physalis and juiced the rest. This was sooo refreshing, you really taste the unique fruit juices and it blended with the wine perfectly I loved the physalis seeds in the mixture as well- where’s the sunshine and a pool!


Going back to the savory direction for the physalis…..any ideas out there? Maybe feed back on what I did or what you would have done??


Stay toon for the wild spices and ingredients that I bought in Toronto the other day!

No comments:

Post a Comment